Sunday, July 3, 2016

Whirlwind Recovery

I am still trying to get my bearings.  The last two weeks have been CRAZY!

    -  I co-led Junior VBS.  Playing and learning with 25 4 and 5 year olds for 3 hours a day is great fun but VERY tiring.

    -  One of my best friends from college, and her two great kids, came to stay with us.  We hadn't seen each other in about 6 years so it was hard to go to sleep.

     -  A friend of ours just recently got married so we went to their celebration - where we saw more people we hadn't seen in years (think at least 20 people).  So great to catch up with everyone.

     -  Then, just over a week ago, our cousin's husband died after a long medical battle.  She has a 4 year old and is pregnant.  Heartbreak.  So we drove five hours there and then five hours back in just over 24 hours to attend the funeral.  It was worth it - but difficult.  If you think of her situation - please pray for her! She has TONS of family support but there are no words.

We have traveled almost all of 281 in Texas - twice this June.  281 reaches from Oklahoma to Mexico.  It pretty much bisects Texas (if you leave out the panhandle).  We only missed about an hour and a half of it - we didn't make it Wichita Falls. It has been a busy month!

     -  On Friday we went to Schlitterbahn - nearly died of heatstroke - then my oldest ended up on the other side of Austin from me.  So I went to pick him up which meant visiting a friend, staying the night and driving home the next day.  So what was supposed to be about an hour and a half of driving turned into a 7 hour ordeal.  It was great to see my friend and sleep in late at her house - but man, I am done driving.

So, I haven't had much time for reflective reading or really anything but trying to manage chaos and keep swim suits off the floor.  My kids have also gotten some unknown cough so they are hacking quite a bit.  Hopefully we haven't passed it along.

We did finally manage to crack open a read aloud book today - we are SLOWLY working through Little Britches.  It is a GREAT book but it doesn't hold anything back.  The  review says that it is "an extraordinary drama", my sons said that might be putting it lightly.  They like it but it is not for the faint of heart.

In theory, this is supposed to be a slower week - we'll see.




No comments:

Post a Comment