Tuesday, November 21, 2017

School Choice and Finding your family PACE


 


The time is upon us!  In our area the lotteries have opened for all of the charter schools.  Enter STRESS!

What should I do?
What will be best for my kids?
What can I afford?
How far am I willing to drive?
Who is my community?
How important is this choice?
It's now or never - right?
What philosophy is right?
Bilingual or not? 

There are some big decisions to make.  Once we choose other options begin to die.  The root of decide - is cide - to die.  It feels like LIFE and DEATH! 

LET'S ALL BREATHE!!

This is an invitation to consider what really matters. What does education mean to you?  How will that be accomplished? Who are your kids and what is best for them?  What are your family needs? 

I have passed through this decision process with my own kids and many friends for almost a decade.  I hope that this series can help take FEAR out of the equation.  I don't believe there is one "right" solution for every family.  I also know that even the "best" situation will have its compromises and issues.  We are looking for the BEST fit - not perfection.

Step 1 is to STOP COMPARING and wondering what the neighbors are doing. By focusing on your long term goals and building on your family strengths and interests you can begin to make a map that can help bring your family peace.  Education is a LONG TERM process and getting worn out at the beginning will not help you make it to the end. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Over the next few weeks we are going to talk about finding your family PACE.  Working from your strengths, abilities and choices to find what is best for THIS SEASON.  The "right" answer is the one that brings your family peace.  We can all use more of that. 

Next week we will be looking at the first P - Purpose.  Begin thinking about what education has meant for you and your family in the past.  What do you want it to mean for your children?  Are education and school the same thing? What is the right role for each for your family?  Those are just a few questions to get you started!

    


3 comments:

  1. I’m looking forward to this series. It’s very timely & relevant for us. Resing on my phone and I don’t see a way to subscribe so I can get emails from your blog every time you post a new entry. Let me know if there is one and if not then I’ll just have to visit often. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to post this series on Tuesday and maybe Saturday (if the topic is long). I think there is an email subscribe on the right side bar that should help you out. Thanks for your interest. I know many people are trying to do what is best for their kids in this arena. Hopefully we can help each other out and NOT stress.

    ReplyDelete