Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wednesday with Words: An Evening Hymn


This poem was included in my son's Year 2 curriculum.  As I consider how to increase meaningful repetition in our lives I think this one might find it's way into our evening routine for a while.  I have enjoyed reviewing what the Book of Common Prayer (Episcopal) has to say about daily prayers and readings and what I have found about the liturgy of the hours online.  I am thinking about how to use them in our own lives to help mark our hours.   I am not sure that we can handle covering the whole book of Psalms on a monthly basis though.  From our house - if the wind is right - you can hear the bells of the local Catholic church (8, noon and five) and I LOVE it.  I am seeing the impact of simple repetition for my kids and I need to be more consistent so that we can all reap the benefits.

An Evening Hymn
by Thomas Ken

All praise to thee, my God, this night,
For all the blessings of the light; 
Keep me, O keep me, King of Kings,
Beneath thy own almighty wings. 

Forgive me, Lord, for thy dear Son,
The ill that I this day have done;
That with the world, myself, and Thee,
I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.

O may my soul on Thee repose,
And may sweet sleep my eyelids close;
Sleep that may me more vigorous make
To serve my God when I awake. 



No comments:

Post a Comment