Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Weds. with Words: Present over Perfect



I dropped off the radar for a week or two.   I was working on the ARCH series, taking a "vacation", getting prepared for school - it was too much.  I am back though.

Present over Perfect by Shauna Niequist is putting words to many things I have been feeling, thinking, trying to express.  I haven't read her other books (although they have been recommended often).  It is a personal journey and there is some repitition of concepts.  However, what she is saying really resonates with where I am right now.  I still struggle with the power of "No". Although this little gem helps me put it in perspective


This kind of "strength" is ridiculous but often rewarded in our culture.  Why do I act on that lie? These are the kind of lies that we all deem as "responsible" and appropriate.  NO MORE!

This is our current selection for my mom's book club and I think we are all reading it (that doesn't happen often)!  I can't wait to hear what other people have to say about it.  Here's my favorite quote:
What you need along the way: a sense of God's deep unconditional love, and a strong sense of your own purpose.  Without those two, you'll need from people what is only God's to give, and you'll give up your larger purpose in order to fulfill smaller purposes or other people's purposes.  

And there you have it in a nutshell: Who is my audience? What is my part?  Truly only God can answer these questions.  If I could help lead my kids into spaces where they could know these answers for themselves - what a gift!

However, to do that you have to own it for yourself.  I think this is one reason I love reading all of Sally Clarkson's stuff she really has both of these aspects nailed in her own life and the fruit is amazing.  I think I have been climbing the wrong tree for a long time and wondering why the fruit isn't what I expected.   What is the blaze that I am constantly trying to put out in my life that requires a firehose?  Firehoses aren't known for their great ability to water for life.

As this new year begins I hope to gear it back and be present.

See what others are reading at Wednesday with Words.


No comments:

Post a Comment