Saturday, November 11, 2017

Lost Metaphors: Light (Part 1)

Be careful what you write about!  Last weekend, inexplicably, for about 16 hours we lost most of the water pressure in our house (if I was smelly at church - now you know why).  We had a little water and it further emphasized just how fortunate we are to have easily accessible, clean water.  Hubby somehow fixed it and all is well again.

This past summer we listened to Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything as we traveled to see the solar eclipse (my father in laws dream come true).  We are huge fans of Bryson.  He writes for adults so some content is inappropriate for younger ears - but we just skip those small sections.  We were somewhere in the middle of Arkansas as he told us about Einstein's brilliant understanding of the universe (sorry I can't give you a page number).  Essentially he said that Einstein explained that it is all about light. 

Bryson might be a Christian but his book isn't Christian (I guess this is where I should warn you the book talks a lot about evolution).  As I heard that Einstein believed it all came down to light it made me think of the first words, "Let there be light."  If you've read the Genesis 1 account you probably wondered how does God created light on the first day but there wasn't any sun or moon in place until the fourth day?  Aren't they pretty much the same thing?  For those less tutored in science, like myself, they are. 

Apparently, there is an understanding of light that goes much beyond the stars; Einstein got it, I don't, God did -from the beginning.  Light is the most fundamental part of our universe, it does more than make sure that plants grow. I honestly can't explain it, but I get that it is a mystery beyond me and I am okay with that.

I also thought of Jesus proclaiming "I am the way, the truth and the light".  We aren't talking about a flickering candle - this is something much more essential than that. 

Our most brilliant minds can catch a glimpse of what God purposed from the beginning - it starts with light and He is the light.  Next time we'll look at this metaphor from a different perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment