Friday, November 3, 2017

Lost Metaphors: Living Water

This past week my kids and I read A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park.  I haven't cried that often while reading in a LOOONG time.  We read lots of books about people in hardship but normally they are distant. - in time or culture.  In this book every chapter shows the dates and these are my dates - when I was in high school, after my sons were born, just a few years ago.  It made it more immediate.  Water is still precious to SO many in our world. Reading about the change that pure, living water can bring was amazing. 

In this village it meant:
  - the end of many preventable diseases - HEALTH
  - a chance for the children to go to school (since they don't have to walk to get water) - EDUCATION
  - opportunity to serve their neighboring villages - SERVICE
  - a place to gather (taking gathering around the water hole to a new level) - COMMUNITY
  - a chance to grow crops more easily and then begin a market - MEANINGFUL WORK

Living water - not stale, dirty, infested water - meant new life on so many levels in this dry and dusty land. I have never wanted for water a day in my life.  As I compared this young girl's life - providing water for her family; to my son's life - focused around play dates and great experiences.  The contrast was what brought the tears. I was so grateful and convicted.  

As I read, I realized just how powerful the image of "living water" would be to this community.  Dirty water means lack of opportunity and death.  Jesus' listeners knew the value of living, fresh water.  streams of living water - no wonder they wanted to know where this was and how they could get it. (John 4)

The depth of this metaphor was lost on me until I realized what a community without water suffers.  I realize I am latecomer - but hopefully my boys heard the message and better realize their privilege - the chance to easily get clean water - every day.  Something so simple and essential but not available to so many.

This past year the first graders memorized Psalm 23.  We talked about the shepherd making sure that the sheep weren't caught up in the current and sent downstream - thus leading beside still waters. My kids loved demonstrating the sheep rolling down the river.  Later, I realized that I had an English version of shepherding; the middle eastern version is not nearly so verdant and water is not nearly as abundant.  A place of abundant water is a place of health, wealth, relief, and life.

Now, listen to what Jesus says, "Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” (John 7:38)   Do you see what this metaphor really means for the people around you?  It means that His Spirit in you brings life, health, education, community, service and meaningful work to those around you.  This is God's heart; that those who love him will be like an oasis in the desert for those around them.   

Are you an oasis to those around you?
Are you in a place that needs living water?
Is there something that is stopping those waters from flowing out of you?

I encourage you to find an organization you trust and think about helping to provide clean water somewhere in the world this season - out of thankfulness (you can search clean water projects and find a TON).  Also, consider if you are allowing His life to flow through you to bring life, health and  community to those around you. 

Don't let this metaphor be lost on you any longer!




 


No comments:

Post a Comment