Friday, January 1, 2016

Decking the Walls

Welcome 2016!!!

Now that we are settling into our new home I decided to use the Christmas sales to do something crazy - get items up on my walls.  If we become what we behold I decided I want my kids to have some paintings worth remembering and thinking about.  I got these at AllPosters.com because they had a huge selection and lots of deals during the holidays.

This all started because of the Afterthoughts' discussion about Charlotte Mason's favorite painting depicting education.

The Triumph of Catholic Doctrine, Personified in St. Thomas Aquinas Giclee Print
Here it is called The Triumph of Catholic Doctrine - but I don't believe that is its original name.  The talk by Brandy Vencel gives you a great starting point as she discusses who all these people are and why they are included in the painting.  I am going to have to listen again and make a guide so I can put it next to our poster print.

I have a few Norman Rockwell's that were in my parents house growing up but I added this one to my collection.  My mom saw it and said - that looks like your boys.  EXACTLY!  I love the dirt on the shoes - as it should be.


Age of Romance by Norman Rockwell.


Gioacchino Assereto, The Supper in Emmaus, 17th c. Private collection Art Print
The Supper In Emmaus by Gioacchino Assereto 

I knew that I wanted something from Emmaus in my kitchen.  There are many different versions but this one was the most close up and seems to invite you to sit with Jesus and the two travelers.  I want my kids to remember His presence whenever they eat.  Although not the most famous artist, this one captured what I wanted.

Return of the Prodigal Son, c. 1669 Art Print

Return of the Prodigal Son by Rembrandt

This is classic painting and I want my kids to remember that it is NEVER to late to return and that their Dad is always waiting to receive them.  We all need to repent and remember the character of the one we are returning to.

While I was looking around I found this one:

Yoke Is Easy Art Print
Yoke is Easy by Sharon France

Since my word for 2015 was YOKE I decided I should get this poster as a reminder.  It is in my laundry room/ pantry.  The place I am most likely to think my yoke is heavy - really I am just complaining and I am cutting that out in the new year!

I also got this one - because it makes me smile.  I put it next to my bed so it is one of the first things I see when I get up.

Gustav Klimt Apple Tree Art Print Poster Poster

Apple Tree by Gustav Klimt

I also got a few other random ones - Thomas Aquinas, St. George and the Dragon, Plato and Socrates, Tree of Knowledge.  I honestly don't know if all of these will go on my wall.

My final addition was a very special painting that my friend Stephanie Fox did for me.  I asked her for a painting for a wedding present and she outdid herself then with calligraphy from 1 Corinthians 13.  So, I called her up and asked her if she would make me a lion and a lamb together.  I want to talk with my sons about Jesus being both the lion and the lamb and emphasizing when he showed those different aspects of his character. So, she painted this for me:


I am so excited about it!

I am also planning on adding more family pictures around our house.  I have them all prepared to go up but I have to stop moving furniture so I can put them up in a spot that I won't put up something else.

I will admit, that in the kids' rooms dad created a man cave so we have tons of Star Wars and Marvel comic book character posters too.  My 3 yo asks which character I am when we sit on his bed. He is normally the Hulk or Superman.  We had a Christmas day discussion comparing the Incredible Hulk and Yoshi - the things that come up when you live with boys!

So these are my choices and they have their own choices in their rooms.

What are your kids beholding around your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment